Assistant Professor – Duke University
- Division of Emergency Medicine – Department of Surgery – Duke School of Medicine
- Attending Physician – Duke University Hospital Emergency Department
- Laboratory for Transformational Administration (LTA)
- Data Science and Advanced Analytic methods for improving clinical care, resource allocation, and patient flow in the Emergency Department and Department of Surgery
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science – Duke Pratt School of Engineering
- Duke Robotics Laboratory
- My research focus is on technology development for acute care in austere environments (emergency department waiting rooms, human spaceflight, prehospital care, military medicine, and rural medicine)
- We focus on data science, robotics, and system engineering processes to develop and determine the impact of automation in safety critical contexts.
- Duke Acute Care Technology Laboratory (DACTL)
- Duke Robotics Laboratory
- Currently detailed to NASA-JSC via Intergovernment Personnel Act as Deputy Human System Risk Manager.
Awards and Honors
- Marie Marvingt Award for excellence and innovation in Aerospace Medicine – 2016
- Whitaker Foundation International Scholarship – Post-Doctoral Fellowship 2012-13
- NIH National Research Service Awards Individual Predoctoral MD/PhD (F30) – 2011-14
Previous Research Positions:
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow and Visiting Medical Student – University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland – June 2012 – May 2013
1 year Research and Clinical fellowship in the Department of Orthopedics applying engineering approaches to problems encountered in the clinical care of shoulder, knee, and hip injuries.
Research Assistant – Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/ Center for Advanced Orthopedic Studies – 2007 – 2012
Conceived and implemented PhD topic for brand new area of research in the lab. Ultimately thesis work was selected for $2.3 Million grant from the Department of Defense to develop three-dimensional ultrasound imaging system for real-time in-flight analysis of neck injuries in US Army Helicopter Pilots.
Research Engineer – National Aeronautics and Space Agency/Wyle Laboratories – Summer 2007
Quantified injuries caused by current American spacesuit and applied results to recommendations for design of next generation suit for exploration of Moon and Mars. Resulted in publication in Acta Astronautica.
Research Study Coordinator – Brigham and Women’s Hospital Emergency Department – Spring 2007
Member of study design team for clinical research study on efficacy of novel antibiotic use on Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) caused cellulitis in emergency department patients.
- Aerospace Medicine Association
- Communications Committee – Former Chair
- Social Media Committee – Former Chair
- Science and Technology Committee
- Education and Training Committee
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics – Professional Member
- Life Sciences & Systems Technical Committee
- Space Medicine Association
- American College of Emergency Physicians – Professional Member
- Research Section
- Aerospace Medicine Section
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Other Previous Positions:
President/Co-Founder – A.D.E. Aerospace Consulting, L.L.C. – 2012 – 2017
Space Medicine Consulting for Research and Operations Support
Associate Editor – Medgadget Online Journal of Emerging Medical Technologies. – 2010 – 2016
Editor/Writer with original reporting and essays that have been reprinted in multiple Medical Technology trade publications.
Associate Member of the Center for Space Medicine at Baylor Medical College – October 2011– 2015
Mentor and Collaborate with students and faculty working on Space Medicine research and operations.